Skibo Castle is located in Dornoch, Scotland.
Gilbert de Moravia was the Bishop of Caithness during the late 12th century. It was Gilbert who started the construction of Skibo Castle in 1186. Between the time of completion and 1545, the castle remained the residence of subsequent bishops.
Between 1745 and 1872 the castle changed hands frequently until it was bought by Evan Charles Sutherland-Walker who extended and improved the building and grounds. By 1987 the condition of the building had plummeted and Andrew Carnegie bought the castle for £85000. A further 2 million pounds was then spent on Skibo Castle to get it into a good state along with an 18 hole golf course and the creation of the Loch Ospisdale.
The castle remained within the Carnegie family until 1982 when it was purchased by Peter de Savary who was a wealthy businessman. Peter used the castle as the foundation for the private members club, the Carnegie Club. The club had around 400 members. The castle was further restored to give it the luxury feel of an Edwardian sporting estate.
The club was sold by Peter to Ellis Short in 2003 for £23 million.
Today the castle still belongs to the carnegie club and is a members only hotel.
Reported Paranormal Activity
The ghost of a white lady has been seen by eyewitnesses in the top floor bedrooms.
A legend tells the story of a young girl who was murdered by the groundskeeper of the castle being buried within the castle grounds. While renovations were taking place within the castle, a skeleton was found behind a wall in the building. The exact identity of the skeleton was never discovered but some locals believe it is that of the murdered girl. Some guests of the castle have claimed to see the ghost of the young girl wandering around.