The George Hotel was built around the very beginning of the 17th century in Crawley, West Sussex in England.
The hotel was formally used as a coaching inn and was one of England’s most successful.
In the 18th and 19th century the inn was extended to join onto the buildings adjacent as its success was growing. Sometime during the 18th century the gallows outside were converted to hold the sign of the coaching inn which very soon became a famous landmark. In 1933 the annex was demolished and then the gallows were replaced with replicas.
The English Heritage listed the building at grade 2 on the 21st June 1948.
Reported Paranormal Activity
The ghost of Mark Hurston who was once a nightwatchman at the inn has reportedly been seen by eyewitnesses wandering the grounds of the inn.
Broom cupboards have been wide open after being locked not long before and electric lights have seemingly turned themselves on and off.
It is believed that Mark Hurston was killed by drinking poisoned wine. The spiked wine was either left to punish a reoccurring intruder of the inn or was left for Mark by an angered person he had woken up during his nightly shift.