Tutbury Castle is located in Tutbury, Staffordshire in England.
Hugh d’ Avranches was granted Tutbury in 1068. Between 1068 and 1069 Tutbury Castle was built in the form of a Motte and Bailey.
In 1071 Tutbury was granted to Henry de Ferrers.
The town of Tutbury was recorded in the Domesday Book as the third largest town in Staffordshire under the name of Toteberie. The castle was also recorded in the Domesday Book in 1086.
Henry de Ferres founded the Tutbury Priory in 1089.
During the early part of the 12th century the wooden motte and bailey was replaced with a stone keep.
In 1138 Henry’s third son, Robert de Ferrers was involved in the Battle of the Standard. Because of this he was made Earl of Derby.
In 1153 Tutbury was sieged by Henry of Anjou, later known as Henry 2nd of England.
William de Ferrers rebelled against the King. The Prince of Deheubarth, Rhys ap Gruffydd besieged Tutbury on behalf of Henry 2nd.
In 1175 William de Ferrers made peace with Henry 2nd but the King still ordered the destruction of the castle.
The Chapel was erected during the late 12th century.
The castle was rebuilt in the late 12th century which now included a round stone keep.
Lord Edward, son of Henry 3rd attacked Tutbury Castle and caused severe damage.
The estates of Robert de Ferrers were confiscated by the King in 1266 and granted them to the Kings younger son, Edmund Crouchback.
In 1267 Edmund was made First Earl of Lancaster and Tutbury became a part of the Lancaster estate. In this year Edmund started to repair the castle.
By 1298 the castle was “firmly repaired” with an addition of a garden, a vineyard, a meadow and a fish pond.
In the late 13th century either Edmund or his son, Thomas built a great hall onto the southern end of the castle.
Between 1313 and 1314 Thomas built a tower over the gateway to the castle which cost around £100.
On 10th March 1322 the Battle of Burton Bridge began and Thomas fled the area. His treasure was either hidden or lost during the process. The castle was looted but not destroyed.
Edward 2nd occupied the castle for a short while in 1323 but after he left in December there was a fire in the high tower.
In December of 1326 Thomas of Lancaster’s brother, Henry of Lancaster was granted Tutbury. During 1334 and 1335, Henry’s daughter named Mary held her wedding ceremony in Tutbury Castle.
In 1353 Henry of Lancaster’s son, also named Henry, was made the first Duke of Lancaster who became owner of the castle in 1358.
In 1362 the husband of Henry’s daughter, Blanche named John of Gaunt, inherited Duchy of Lancaster through his marriage and received permission from the King to make repairs to the castle.
Work was made to the stone curtain walls (most likely on the northern side) in 1393.
In 1399 Henry of Lancaster mas made King Henry 5th.
Between 1404 and 1406 a tower and wall was built on the western side of the castle.
Between 1412 and 1413 a stone wall was built on the western side near near the “les portes”
In 1414 prisoners were held in the castle a constable and a porter was living in the gatehouse.
Between 1420 and 1442 the southern curtain wall was built.
The southern tower was built using stone from Winshill between 1442 and and 1450.
Henry the 6th’s wife named Margaret of Anjou was given Tutbury as part of her marriage settlement in 1449.
The northern tower was built in 1457.
Henry 7th provided the funding for new buildings to be constructed on the site of the castle and for the garden to be maintained in 1486.
By 1516 some parts of the castle were in such bad structural condition that the kitchen roof fell through. In 1523 a survey was carried out on the castle which found that many parts of the castle roof and the roofs of the buildings on site were defective.
In 1561 repairs were made to the ring wall which had started to decay.
Between 1569 and 1571 Mary Queen of Scots was imprisoned in Tutbury castle on three occasions.
In 1595 surveys showed the castle to be “in great ruin”.
Parliamentarians attempted to siege the castle in 1643 but their efforts were unsuccessful.
In 1646 there was a three week long siege of the castle which led to it being surrended and destroyed.
In 1660 some rooms of the castle were repaired.
By 1662 some of the locals started robbing the castle of its stone and timber.
During the beginning of the 19th century farm buildings were constructed which today is the kitchen and tea rooms.
Farming work on the castle lands ceased in 1952.
Sir Robert Somerville excavated the castle grounds and found the complete foundations of a chapel.
In March of 1957 Queen Elizabeth 2nd visited Tutbury Castle with Prince Phillip and planted trees on the grounds during their stay. Elizabeth 2nd visited the castle again later on in 1982.
In 1999 the Smith family leased the castle and installed the Herbary and Queen’s gardens.
A staircase to the great hall was re-discovered and and re-opened in 2000.
Today the castle is open to the public for wedding venue hire, school visits, birthday parties, celebrations, conference meetings and paranormal events.
Reported Paranormal Activity
The ghost of a male spirit has been seen by eyewitnesses standing in the gateway wearing a full suit of armour, yelling “get these hence!”
Some visitors have claimed to see the ghost of Mary Queen of Scots wearing either a black or a white dress roaming around the castle.
It is also believed by some that Tutbury Castle is haunted by a small girl named Ellie who playfully tugs on visitors clothing and a small boy who has been seen sat on the great hall staircase.