Lilleshall Abbey is located in Telford, Shropshire in England.
The abbey was built during the 12th century, founded by Richard de Belmeis.
Richard settled a group of Arrouasian (later know as Augustinian) Canons at the site in 1148.
The abbey was visited twice in the mid 12th century by King Henry 3rd.
Farmland, watermills and properties gained most of the income for the abbey but by the early 14th century the Abbey was in a vast amount of debt.
It was recorded that during the 16th century Lilleshall Abbey was suppressed by order of King Henry 8th and the building and its contents were sold for £75.
The Cavendish family bought the abbey and about a year later in 1539/40 Lilleshall Abbey was passed on to James Leveson of Wolverhampton.
Sir Richard Leveson fortified Lilleshall Abbey for King Charles 1st during the English Civil War. After the war the Abbey was left in ruins.
The Office of Works gained ownership of Lilleshall Abbey in 1950 and the Abbey was restored. It was then passed on to the English Heritage.
Today Lilleshall Abbey is still under the ownership of the English Heritage.
Reported Paranormal Activity
Eyewitnesses have reported seeing the ghost of a man in a black robe with very little hair and carrying a small book, possibly a Bible. He has been reported as being around 5ft 6in tall and middle aged with a warm smile on his face.