Ironbridge Power Station is located in Shropshire in England.
The first part of the power station ( Ironbridge A) was built in 1929 and officially opened in 1932 by an Architect named Alan Clark and a Landscape Architect named Kenneth Booth. The two men worked together to ensure that the power station blended into its surrounding scenery as much as possible. The cooling towers were built from concrete which was pigmented a red colour to blend in with the local soil.
Shortly after World War 2 there was an increase in the demand for electricity and it was decided by Central Electricity Generating Board that a second, more powerful station was to be built (Ironbridge B).
Construction of Ironbridge B began in 1963 with the deadline to start producing power by 1967. There were a number of complications and delays during construction which meant that the station did not officially open until 1969.
In October of 1980 part of Ironside A was closed an by 1981 the station had stopped producing power.
Ironbridge A was demolished in 1983.
In 1990 the Central Electricity Generating Board was privatised and split into different companies. Ironbridge was then passed through different hands of ownership before being purchased by Powergen.
In 2001 Germany-based energy company, E.On took over Powergen.
From 2006 Environmental group Friends of the Earth claimed that Ironbridge is the second worst polluting power station in the United Kingdom per megawatt output.
Ironbridge Power Station is no longer a part of the Large Combustion Plants Directive which means that it can operate for no longer than 20,000 hours after 1 January 2008and must close by 31 December 2015.
Reported Paranormal Activity
Workers at the power station have reported seeing the ghost of a black hooded monk near to the station.
One worker who was filling his truck with coal, saw what he thought was a female murder victim near the pile of coal. As he got out of his cab to investigate further the body rose from the floor and floated towards him before disappearing just a few feet in front of him.