Newstead Abbey was built in Nottinghamshire in England in 1170. It was originally used as an Augustinian priory.
The Abbey was built around the year 1170 by King Henry 2nd.
In 1534 the building was valued at £70’000 by the Valor Ecclesiasticus.
During the dissolution of the monasteries a lecturn was thrown into the lake by the monks of the abbey to save it. During the eighteenth century the lake was dredged and the lecturn was recovered. In 1805 the lecturn was given to Southwell Minster by Archdeacon Kaye where it can still be found.
The Priors of Newstead Abbey include:
-William (late cellarer), 1241
-John de Lexinton, resigned 1288
-Richard de Hallam, 1288
-Richard de Grange, 1293
-William de Thurgarton, 1324
-Hugh de Colingham, 1349
-William de Colingham, resigned 1356
-John de Wylesthorp, resigned 1366
-William de Allerton, 1366
-John de Hucknall, 1406
-William Bakewell, 1417
-Thomas Carleton, resigned 1424
-Robert Cutwolfe, resigned 1424
-William Misterton, 1455
-John Durham, 1461
-Thomas Gunthorp, 1467
-William Sandale, 1504
-John Blake, 1526
A large portion of the abbey was badley damaged during the dissolution of the monasteries in the 13th century.
The gardens of Newstead Abbey were dramatically landscaped by the 4th Lord Byron. Gothic follies were added later on by the 5th Lord Byron, William Byron.
In January 1803 the estate was leased to Henry Edward Yelverton, 19th Baron Grey de Ruthyn who was just 23 years of age. Henry lived at the Abbey for five years for £50 per year.
Boatswain was a Newfoundland dog belonging to Lord Byron who worshiped his beloved pet. In 1808 Boatswain died of rabies and was buried in the grounds of the Abbey. Lord Byron wanted to be buried with him when he died but he ended up being buried in the family vault at the nearby church in Hucknall.
In 1818 the Abbey was bought by Thomas Wildman for £94’500.
An African explorer named William Frederick Webb bought the house in 1861 from Thomas Wildman’s widow. Thomas redecorated the chapel but did not change much in the Abbey itself.
In 1931 the Abbey was handed over to Nottingham Corporation.
Reported Paranormal Activity
Before an unhappy event the goblin friar appeared to the head of the Byron family.
Lord Byron awoke one night to witness a black mass with two red glowing eyes on the bottom of his bed which rolled off onto the floor and then vanished without trace in the Rook Cell.
A ghostly smell of roses and lavender can sometimes be smelt at the bottom of the staircase and can just a quickly disappear. no one has ever seen anything in this area but staff of the Abbey believe the scent is of the perfume of a lady who once lived there many years ago, she has been nicknamed the Rose Lady.
During the 1930′s a housewife who lived near to the abbey was in labor. Her husband telephoned for a Dr to come and help with the delivery of his child. When the Dr finally arrived a short while later he explained that he had got lost near the abbey and that a kind Monk in black robes had pointed him in the right direction. There had been no Monks in the abbey for hundreds of years.