Gunby Hall was built in 1700 by Sir William Massingberd in Lincolnshire.
During the 2nd World War plans had been made to build an airfield on the Gunby estate which meant the Hall would have to be demolished.
Sir Archibald Montgomery-Massingberd who lived at Gunby Hall at this time wrote an appeal against the airfield being built on his esate to King George VI personally. The plans were changed and the airfield was built in Great Steeping which is two miles further south. The runway however, ends just a few feet short of the Gunby Hall estate boundary.
Gunby Hall was one of the first major British mansions and estates to be presented to the National Trust in 1944.
Today the hall is still owned and run by the National Trust and is open to the public for a few days of the week during the summer. During the rest of the year the hall houses private residents.
Reported Paranormal Activity
The daughter of Sir William Massingberd fell in-love with her fathers postilion rider and planned to elope together. Before they had the chance to run away Sir William found out what his daughter was planning to do and shot his postilion rider dead in a fit of rage. The body was then dumped in the river.
The ghost of Sir Williams daughter and the Postilion rider have been seen by many walking on the path next to the hall what is now known as the “Ghost Walk”.