The Guildhall is located in Leicester, Leicestershire in England.
The great hall around the year 1390 and was the meeting place of the Guild of Corpus Christi.
The two wings were added and the great hall was extended over the next century.
In 1548 the Corporation bought Guildhall when the guild was dissolved.
The town library was placed in the east wing of Guildhall in 1632. The library was previously located at St Martin’ s Church. It is thought to be the third oldest public library in the country.
At one point in time the great hall was used as a courtroom as well as a theatre with banquets and other events.
During the 19th century it was decided that Guildhall was now too small to be used as a town hall due to expanding local government functions. In 1876 the new town hall was built in Horse Fair and Guildhall became the local police head quarters and then later on a school.
Fifty years later in 1926 Guildhall had fallen into disrepair and the locals wanted it to be demolished because it looked so bad. The council restored the building and reopened it to the public as a museum.
Today Guildhall is still open to the public and is a place of fun and entertainment. Acts from across the country perform at Guildhall and the museum is still there to enjoy.
Reported Paranormal Activity
The ghost of either a white lady or a Monk has been seen on rare occasions moving furniture around the library.
The ghost of a man wearing a uniform bearing resemblance to a Cavalier has been seen in the great hall along with the spirits of a canine and a feline.