Hall Place was built in 1537 for Sir John Champneys in Kent, England.
In 1649 Hall Place was sold to Robert Austen who was a merchant from Tenterden. Robert did quite a bit of renovation work to the building including the installation of the highly decorative plaster ceiling in the Great Chamber which is still one of the best features of the house today.
The Dashwood family owned Hall Place during the 18th century. More major changes were made to the building by Maitland Dashwood who was the grandson of Sir Francis Dashwood or ‘Hell Fire Francis’ who owned the house initially. Maitland added the lodge and most of the wood paneling and parquet flooring throughout.
Today Hall Place and its gardens are open to the public. There is also a museum on site.
Reported Paranormal Activity
The most well known ghost at Hall Place is that of Lady Constance who threw herself from the white tower after witnessing her husband being killed by a stag which had attacked him whilst he was out hunting. The ghost of Lady Constance has been seen wandering around the house and its grounds, wringing her hands in despair.
People have reported seeing the spirit of a maidservant in the attic.