Appuldercombe House is located in Wroxall, Isle of Wight in England.
Appuldurcombe House was built around the year 1100 and was originally used as a Priory. Over the following years it was used as a Convent and family home.
The original house which was owned by Sir Robert Worsley was replaced in 1702 by architect John James. On 29 July 1747 Sir Robert Worsley died. A monument dedicated to Sir Robert Worsley was built overlooking the hoese as he had never seen it completed in his lifetime.
Sir Richard Worlsey, Great- Nephew of Sir Robert Worsley, had Appuldercombe House vastley extended during the 1770′s when he was newly married. In 1779 ornamental gardens were designed. Sir Richard held many parties and entertained some of the most eminent figures of the time at Appuldurcombe House.
After Sir Richard Worsley, the house was owned by Charles Anderson-Pelham who used Appuldercome house as a base for his sailing activities. Charles sold on the house in 1855 to a business man who turned Appuldurcombe house into a hotel. The hotel was unsuccessful so the businessman decided to lease out the house to be used as a college for young men.
During the early 20th century Appuldurcombe house was lived in by Benedictine Monks who were exiled from Solesmes Abbey in France.
During both the First World and Second World War, troops were housed at Appuldurcombe. The house had considerable damage after the Second World War when it was bombed by a Dornier Do 217 on February 7, 1943.
Today the house is nothing more than a shell.
Reported Paranormal Activity
Over the years Appuldurcombe House has got its reputation as one of the most haunted places on the Isle of Wight.
Visitors and locals have told of their sightings of spectral horse and carriages parked infront of Appuldercombe house, hooded Monks walking around the grounds of the house, ghostly cries of infant children and unseen spirits turning the pages of the visitors book.